Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Salted Eggs Fiesta

I believe that you will have a big grin when you see this post :) Remember the days when you picked those salted egg yolk for my congee? See, I told you that I'm low maintenance. I'll be happy just with a bowl of congee and multiple egg yolks :) I'm so cheap!!!
Salted Goose, Duck and Quail Eggs
Yes, for my love of salted egg, I made some myself. This time, I use: goose egg, duck egg, chicken egg, and quail egg. 
After 3 weeks, the results are as in the picture.
     1. Goose egg. 
Notice the big air sac? I think, that's my mistake, cos I didn't manage to drown the whole egg in brine. There's a part of it still floating, thus resulting in the air sac. The taste was not as salty, as predicted, due to its big size. The yolks is not as fatty as duck's, but still, it's not too bad.
     2. Duck egg. 
The standard one. And to my surprise, it was the saltiest among all kind (given same curing conditions). So this must be the reason why ppl use duck egg rather than others, it absorbs the brine in most efficient time.
     3. Chicken egg. 
Not as salty as duck's. The yolk is not too fatty, not too salty. It's just perfect. I wonder why chicken egg is not popular as salted egg.
     4. Quail egg. 
I was expecting quail egg to be the saltiest among all. But nope, it pars with chicken egg, though its yolk has a greyish hue. It's quite fatty too. Perfect saltiness. 
Salted Chicken Egg vs Quail Egg
Note: 
Apart from goose eggs, others, at raw states has form the ball yolk. Perfectly salted usually have a ball-y yolk. Look at this tiny quail egg yolk. so tiny compare to chicken's. I didn't have a chance to check raw goose egg, since I only have 1 of it :)
Raw salted Quail egg vs. Chicken egg
Next project will be: free-range chicken egg :) let's see how it'll turn out to be!!!

No comments: