Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Big Miracle, The Vow, and other beautiful movies


Should have written this last month. I forgot most movies I watched on the plane now. Btw, I remember one particular movie: Big Miracle, starring: Drew Barrymore. The movie is about 3 stranded whales trapped in ice somewhere in Alaska, and a bunch of people from diff backgrounds and motivations came to the rescue.
The movie was so touching, I literally cried throughout the movie. Even my group members noticed my cries, hahaha…
If you haven’t watched it, here’s the synopsis

The problem is that I get curious about the true story behind it. Apparently the story wasn’t as dramatic as one in the movie, there was even a big question mark whether those whales survived at all. I wished I didn’t look for more information; it kinda ruined the beautiful image of the movie in my head. But it is still a very good inspirational movie. I didn’t shed my tears for nothing.
Kinda wish that Karawang whale could survive as in the movie, it would be nice. But she died anyway. Bohoo :'(
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another movie that makes me teary on the plane: The Vow. It also based on true story. Ughh, I am really vulnerable for touchy stories, shame on me. Btw, the movie is about a man who tries to win his wife’s heart back after she suffered amnesia. You can read more here.
I know it sounds like super-standard Indonesian sinetron plots, but it is not, seriously, it’s not a lame story at all.

I kinda refer this to myself. Maybe we have known each other before, long time ago, many times before. But I simply forget about it. And you! You remember it. Why can you just give me some clues?
Maybe the movie tries to tell something to us, rather than trying to dig back the old memories, why don’t we create a new one, the beautiful one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This movie is so cute, despite the movie is about ghosts and deaths, it doesn't give any scary feeling at all.
A Ghost of a Chance (English title) / Once in a Blue Moon (Japanese English title)/Suteki na Kanashibari
The movie is about trial of a murder (huaaa!) where the only witness is a dead samurai(huaaaa!!) and the lawyer is trying to get the witness to talk to the court (huaaa???)
You'll find the movie is cute and refreshing. It also makes us wonder about the after-life. Are they still lingering around us? Have we done any justice to those who deserve it?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This movie was introduced by Edwin. It also made me cry (again!).
The Departures is a must watch movie. It'll give you a different perspective about love, hatred, life, death, and their last moment - the departures.

Mortician is considered the lowest job you could ever get, esp in Asian communities (I dunno how Westerners' view about this job). We acknowledge their importance, but we tend not to be associated with them. Well, unless if you have to, that's when your love one finally need their service. It's taboo!

The movie tells the story about a man who desperately need a job, and took a job as mortician, and he (after a lot of struggle) do the job with all his heart. After you watch the movie, I guarantee you'll have more respect to morticians, trust me.
Although westerner viewers have rather less excited about it, the movie still won an Oscar and Academy Awards. Congratz :)

1 comment:

Ying said...

aaaaahhh....so u saw departure too...I cry pretty much at the last scene T^T
and good music too, love it :)


Ps. I hate your captcha!!!