Tuesday, June 25, 2013

White Chicks

I really love this pic, I think Mrs.White looks like a very cool and elegant mom
Mrs. White finally hatched her own babies!!!
She successfully hatched 9 chicks out of 12 eggs
3 eggs are rotten (according to my staff: he shook the eggs and heard watery sound - meaning the eggs didn't develop)

The next night after they hatched, was raining so hard... and they didn't sheltered well, maybe due to the windy rain. The mother and chicks were soaking wet, and 1 chick died due to hypothermia (I supposed). But look at the bright side, 8 chicks survived. My Dad blow-dried each one of them (Dad, You are the best!).
I wasn't in town when the whole event happened :( I wish I was there to keep them safe and sound







Anyway, the 8 survivors can be classed into 3 types:
1. yellow chick with yellow feet + yellow beak
2. yellow chick with black feet + black beak
3. brown chick with black feet + black beak
Most of them have hairy legs too :) cute don't u think?

Since we don't really know Mr. & Mrs. White pedigree, it's quite understandable that these tiny chicks turned out to be colourful.   

I let them play outside in the morning, just before the sun become fiercely hot. 
And here are the pics when the mother teach them how to have sand-bath. 
This time, I have to sacrifice my flower bed.... it now has big patches from digging the bath
PS:
My last post about Mrs. White eggs... The first clutch didn't survive. She had 3 still-born chicks, all died in half-opened shells. And the rest of the eggs are watery, meaning they failed to develop. She sat on them for nearly a month! Even her little comb looked pale.
I guess Mrs. White is a quick learner, she quickly regained her health and began laying more eggs, which are the cute tiny chicks we have today.

Btw, Mrs. Black has been laying some eggs too... abit much. She has laid 34 eggs non-stop and hasn't show that she gonna stop anytime soon. We have no clue why she laid so much. Is it normal at all?

No comments: