Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Flu

Yesterday I went to have a health check-up. Not that I worry that my South America trip has given me extra gift of swine flu, but I was quite annoyed with my constantly-runny nose and thick phlegm on my throat. Guess what, the doctor said I am OK; my flu is a result of irregular rests and exhaustion.Talking about pandemic flu, one must heard about Tamiflu before. This magic capsule of Oseltamivir has been claimed to be the cure of infamous avian-flu. But for this new type of flu, the usage of this medicine is still questionable. Nevertheless, the availability in Indonesia is fully controlled by government hospitals (two thumbs up, Indonesia!!!); while in Singapore, although it’s a non-prescription drug, it has vanished from the market, along with hand-sanitizer. But none can beat HongKong with its stock 3x of the island’s population.

I got the first peep of Tamiflu in a pharmacy, at Mall of Emirates, Dubai. A box of 10 capsules cost 180AED. I didn’t purchase it, too costly for something that gives no promise, even the pharmacist said so. Hohoho, stingy Ming. But lucky I didn’t get it, cause for sure I will swallow it without any health consultation.

And no matter what happen, please don’t blame it to the animal, birds, pigs or whatever comes next. Remember, it was us human who “create” these new viruses, and it was us too, who named it after them. So, please do not connect it to any religion or race. The virus never checks any I.D. before attacking.
This event is merely an evolution in action, survival for the fittest. Maybe it’s just another way for the old earth to get rid some of its enormous burden.

No comments: