Sunday, May 23, 2010

Salted Fish ...

One day, someone asked me “What is your favourite food, Ming? I quickly answer: “Nasi Padang”.
And he also asked a girl sitting beside me, "What is your favourite food?" She answered:” I can't take anything but Japanese and Korean food", then she list down 5-star hotels where she usually had those food (or so she said)

What the girl answered is a typical answer I heard when someone asked an Indonesian, "What is your favourite food"
- I can't take anything but dimsum
- I can't take anything but sushi
- I can't take anything but korean bimbimbab
- I can't take anything but burgers
- etc
All these answer I got from those people who was born in Indonesia, live in Indonesia, but may (or may not) been to those places they mention where they serve their favourite food.

Favourite food is a personal choice. It would be very wrong if I said it is a bullcrap that it is their favourite food.

But trust me, the reason why I wrote this writing is because I am totally against those people who look down on Indonesian food and praise foreign food.
I like Japanese food. I like Italian food. In fact, I like all kind of food...
I can just chuck any countries' food to my mouth

BUT I will still say
"Padang food is the best"
"Salted fish on hot-steamed rice is my all-time favourite"
"Salted egg on porridge always put a grin on my face"

Ahhhh.....I am drooling

3 comments:

-clarisa- said...

I used to love nasi padang, tapi skrg suka nama nya Tahu Berontak (kalau di jakarta nama nya Tahu Isi), secara di sini ga ada nasi padang yang uenak :D

Erry said...

what happened to Sate Padang? Mak Syukur?

Tapi memang nasi padang still the best so far, bisa masuk ke rata2 lidah semua orang and the most important, bisa di dapet sampe ke pelosok2 negeri =)

ming said...

...ooo lupa ya?
*memandangi bungkusan & tusukan sate yg kosong & super bersih*