Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Stinky feet in economy flight IS a disaster

Before I write any article about my last holiday in Australia, I wanna write about what happened on the flight from Sydney to Jakarta. It was an awful 7 hours flight. And it's all because I was suffocating throughout the flight; thanks to my fellow passenger who has the most awful-smelling-feet.
I found this picture on the net. And this pretty much resembles what happened during the flight. 

I am not someone who likes to pop sleeping pills on a flight, so as usual, I watch the inflight movies. Then suddenly I smell something funny, I kept looking to the lady sitting next to me. She didn't do anything. She's fine. So, I rest my body to the seat again, and had the smell again! I looked at my arm-rest, and to my horror, there was a huge-bare-stinky-feet-with-stubby-toes from the passenger sitting behind me. HUAAAA!!!

So, that was the source of that awful-rancid-smell. I tried to be polite, cos he is an Indonesian, and Indonesian usually happy to torture someone else; I didn't want to confront him, so I need him to remove his feet voluntarily: so I kept fanning the air and his feet ~ happened for at least 2-3 minutes. I know he got the idea, but he insisted not to remove his feet. But as I said before, Indonesian are happy when someone else is having trouble. Your problem is not my problem, they said.

I was reluctant to criticize his feet, but I couldn't stand it; so pressed the "help" button. I need flight attendant to rescue me. And before the flight attendant arrived, the OZ aunties (sitting opposite me) who has been staring, winking and smiling at me took an action. She asked the guy to remove his feet from my handrest. Of course, the guy was pretending not to hear nor understand what the lady said. But she insisted, making gestures that his feet was about to make others puke.
He did remove his feet. Finally!!!

Maybe I was becoming paranoid, or maybe his feet was super smelly. Cos for the rest of the flight, the smell was still lingering. I end up putting mask and small towel on my face, just to filter the air. And never felt happier when we finally landed in Jakarta.