Monday, October 17, 2011

ROC Centennial Celebration

When I decided to go to Taiwan for its Double Ten day, all I had in mind is, I wanna take pictures. I didn't think much nor plan about it. So, on the 9th, I was cluelessly went to register myself for an event called "庆祝中华民国建国100年国庆四海同心联欢大会" a celebration of 100th year of Republic of China with overseas Chinese. Btw, this's my 1st visit to Taiwan.
It was true that it was attended by overseas people, a lot of them (said was attended by 22,000 ppl); all swarming at Taipei Arena. The event was somewhat grand, they have some belly dancers (tell me why?), Japanese singer, Hong Kong singer, and of course some Taiwanese singers and performers.
Anyone remember Alex To 杜德偉? He was performing as the representative singer from HK, while the young ones were so bored by the song, there were a small glittering crowd that cheering non-stop for him: it was the belly dancers: fit for the seductive song 脱掉. Hahaha.  Another Taiwanese singer, Wan Cai Hua 王彩樺 was singing BoBee 保庇 (Bless Me), the young were cheering and singing along with the super silly song, but the elders were either away for toilet-break or complaining for the irritating voices. The situation changed when Judy Ongg 翁倩玉 sang, the elders were singing along, they know every single words she sang, obviously the young ones complained about the lullaby-ing songs, about to doze off there. Hahhahaa. I can see there are generation gaps here :) 
ROC flag inside Taipei Arena//Samingad-singing her Aboriginies song//President Ma//WangCaiHua performing her BoBee//dance performance (look at the lyrics, saying 中国人!!!)// young Taiwanese singer-who?// the whole performer on stage//Ms.Judy Ongg with her super slow songs.
Despite the whole grand performances, the true star of the event was of course, President Ma 马英九.
He gave a short speech and the crowd was going crazy waving their flags, cheering , clapping and even some were screaming “MA YING JIU, I LOVE YOUUUUU” in the middle of the speech. Seems like being President in Taiwan is nearly like a celebrity (or maybe more, by the sound of the clapping). Geez, imagine someone is cheering Indonesian President SBY “I love you”… Uh, giving me goosebumps.
The speeches were somewhat misleading, I think. They welcome us home, "Welcome to Home Country". They regard us, the overseas Chinese as part of Taiwan??? I admit that I am Chinese descendant, but I do not consider Taiwan as home. It’s unfair to say so. Even Taiwanese were from China.
Anyway, I don’t really get what’s going on with Taiwan politic. But, I am on China side. I think Taiwan somewhat belong to China. Kinda hate when they keep saying bad stuff about China and keep linking Taiwan to Japan. They are never Japanese, no matter how much effort they put. They are Chinese. If Hong Kong and Macau can live freely and independently under China, so can Taiwan. What’s with all the brags?  Anyway, Happy B’day to Republic of China. Long Live Chinaaa!!!
Note:
I realized some Taiwanese opposed about this 100th years celebration, saying they do not think they are part of Republic of China, they think they are simply TAIWAN. So confusing, so Taiwan is not ROC? ROC is not Taiwan? Why don’t we put all the differences behind, and enjoy the long weekend, let’s party and everybody will be happy J

1 comment:

Rita X said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.