Monday, July 7, 2014

Things Change

May 1998, things were in chaos.  Heard rumors other cities been in riots – looting, raping, burning, all those things that you thought can only be seen on TV and would only happened to someone else. Seen semi-military (or so called legalized hitman) people been gatherings. Things were not good. Most of my Chinese classmates been skipping class for days, some even moved the whole family to neighbouring countries.

One day, my school really closed down, situation was really critical at that time. It was like a ghost town. Our shop were closed too.
I remember, a  Moslem highschool friend called me that afternoon, to ask if me & my family were alright & even asked if we have a place to run or hide from all those riots.  Even the mother was very sincere and concerned about us.
I didn’t take the offer. We believed we’ll be OK.
My friend said, "Call me anytime you need us, you can come here anytime you want"
After Mr.Suharto stepped down, things turned out to be OK. We continued our studies, until we all graduated and walk on our different paths.

A few weeks ago, finally I met my highschool friend again,  we haven’t met since our graduation day, it was like 15 years ago. I guess none of us ever changed, we still chat like we what we were years ago.  Only now with stable job, family and kids. Happy life J

It is until I added my friend on Facebook then I realized things were not like it used to be. Apart from the wedding picture, the Facebook page was full of radical Moslem ideas, like wanting Syariah Law to be implemented, hating other religion, Israel vs Palestine things. 
I don’t understand why someone who was able to concern about me - a Chinese minority’s safety 15 years ago turned into a die-hard someone who want to turn the whole country into a hardcore Moslem nation.

What has happened in the last 15 years?
Why did you lose your sincere humanity?
I hope it is just on your Facebook page; cos I still find you very warm and polite that day.
I really hope it wasn’t you who write all those hatred stuffs on your page.
I really hope so...

"I am changing. You are changing. Let's not be disappointed when we find each other different"

No comments: