Thursday, July 2, 2015

Baby Hawksbill Sea Turtles Hatching

I haven't been diving for months, been so busy...
Last week, I did again. Gosh, how much I miss touching the water
This time, I didn't puke. Hehehe...

That day, I was supposed to leave, but I am really grateful that we decided to stay for 1 more night.
Thanks to my instructor to allow it too...
That night, we found out baby green turtles were hatching...

So, what happened is that... in the islands, every now and then, there will be turtles' making nests there. None ever succeed to hatching stage. The island was inhabited by monitor lizards, who happened to favor turtle eggs too (apart from human, I guess)

2 months ago, my instructor - Mr.B, found a few nests on the island, and he removed the nest site to somewhere nearer to resort's security's hut. Monitor lizards and humans won't come close to the area. Making it safe for the eggs. Certain measures were taken to ensure successful incubation.
So on that night, 15 babies walked out of the nest. we waited for more to come out, then we realized... none were coming out, we started to dig the nest to find more babies are struggling to come out of the nest. Rain made the sands a bit packed, making hard to penetrate.
We had extra 65 healthy babies, and 2 still born.
We release them to the sea in the middle of the night. We took a night dive to capture their first journey. It was so beautiful and serene.
I don't know how many of them survived that night, I hope some of them will reach adulthood. Life in nature can be really harsh. Some baby sharks were already waiting by the shores.

What we can do now is to protect more nest, more eggs, and hoping more and more babies will be released to the sea. And may I see them again on my next dive.

Here are some of the video... we weren't prepared, thus the poor quality. But it's the moment that counts!

No comments: