Monday, July 20, 2015

Injured Hawkbill Hatchling

Mike's first days... mark the open wound on his head and arms
On the night of 4th July, my dive instructor was patrolling around his island to check on a turtle nest that he secured 2 months ago. It was predicted that it will hatch on that very night. No sign... so we started digging, anxious if there were any survived.  After a bit of digging, we found 4 baby turtles, alive... 1 quite healthy, 2 injured, and 1 terribly weak.
We released the healthy one straight to the sea. The weak one died soon after. and the 2 injured one was kept in a container of shallow water. But one of them died the day after.

Only 1 left, we named him... 小强 -Xiao Qiang (The Tough/Strong One) or Michael.
I didn't name him, it was the guests and my instructor naming him. We don't actually know his gender.

When I brought him home to the town, we carried a full container of sea water, so we can change it everyday. Mike was terribly weak, when we found him, his left arm was injured, he cannot move it at all. He got some cuts on his neck and left arm. We didn't even sure if he will survive the next day.

But, he really was a tough one. I force-fed him with turtle food from petshop. I need to make sure he eat something. And it works. He get stronger, and starting to nibble on some seaweed/sponge that I brought. At least he has an appetite for the sponge.
Mike's weight (gr) on 4th July vs. 10th July 2015
Be strong, Little Mike. Hope to swim together with you :)
---------------

20th July 2015
Couldn't manage to get this writing posted before I left for Festive escape...
Before I left, I passed Mike to my instructor care. He took care until this morning... he released Mike free into the wild. We didn't want Mike to be human-dependent for too long, he need to learn about the sea.
Mike was much healthier, both arms in well condition, and he swam fast...
I wasn't there to witness, and there was no video taken
I am kinda broken-hearted, not able to bid farewell to the little one
I just hope one day we will cross path again

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hei, nice one...why cant i ctc u? on vacation meh?

Kampurets