Thursday, July 15, 2010

Paper vs Styrofoam

On one fine afternoon, I accompanied my Mom to arrange dishes for my Big Bro’s wedding. The original plan was that they’re going to use Styrofoam bowls for some dishes. I rejected the idea; I meant my parents have been campaigning not to use Styrofoam as it is bad for our environment. How could we use in on our family’s big occasion? I opted for paper bowl, which is so hard to get so me and mom went to visit some aunties that are veterans in catering world.

The conversation went on like this:
ME:         Auntie, do you know where to get paper bowl like this? I want it to be used for  Durian-Ice (showing   paper bowl I got from local KFC)
AUNT 1:   Durian-Ice? No need such fancy bowl, just use Styrofoam bowl. I know who can supply them
Me:        No, no, no. I don’t want to use Styrofoam. 不环保 (not environmentaly-friendly)
AUNT 1 & 2:  What???
MOM:     What Ming meant is, Styrofoam is bad for earth cos it’s not easily degradable
AUNT 2:   Aiyoooo….. you worry about the rubbish? No need to worry, let the hotel handle it.
AUNT 1:   Yes, the price you pay for hotel includes the rubbish fee. They’ll put all used Styrofoam bowls into big plastic bag and they’ll dispose it. You will not see them anymore. Easy.
AUNT 2:   OK, now we confirm to use Styrofoam bowls. styrofoam bowls are so convenient and so cheap too. This's the best choice. I’ll call my friend to show you the samples, k?
ME:        (speechless)
      
So, moral story of my day is “It’s not plastic or Styrofoam or carbon-emission that kill the earth, it’s our IGNORANCE”.
Now, anyone can tell me any ice-cream cup's supplier in Jakarta? due date is mid Oct 2010.

No comments: