Monday, June 11, 2012

Sate Daril

One of the Padang food that I miss most when I am away is sate Padang - a kind of beef satay in thick spicy sauce.
Note that Sate Padang have many different types, mostly differ on their sauces.
Not only the colour, even the same coloured one can taste abit different depends on the vendor.

There is one particular one that I love so much, it's sate Daril (Da = Uda, means brother in Minang language; Ril = the owner's name). It tastes SO GOOD...!!!
I think I had my first sate at his stall. He used sell right in front of the gate of SD Agnes, my late elementry school. I remembered that I used to order some kerupuk/cracker with the sauce ('cos cracker was the cheapest thing he sells), or only 1 stick of satay + 1 ketupat (rice cake)... The good old days when my pocket money was limited. Hahahha.
I guess all the SD Agnes graduates love his sate.
Many of them hire Daril to cater for their weddings too (guess they are all in marrying age by now).
My brother did too...  ^.^ Yum...
The satay stall is still there, now they are accross the street in front of the school, well, SD Agnes is no longer there.
But Sate Daril still exists in different form. Instead of the wooden cart pushed by man-power, now he uses a pick-up car for the stall.
Daril doesn't sit there to attend the stall now, he hires his relatives. Daril stays at home to prepare his secret recipe. Apparently he has more than 1 stall now. I think it's a beautiful successful story of one's determination and persistence.

No comments: