Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Black Monster

I once visited a friend at our neighbouring country. I stayed at her place for a couple of days there.
Once day, she took me to mall for sightseeing...
And suddenly, her 2-3 years old baby girl shrieked "MONSTERRR !!!"
My friend quickly gave her baby a hug and say... "Yes! Black Monster... It's OK, mommy is here"
They were referring to a Bangali cleaning service guy - whom were busy mopping the floor and did nothing to scare the baby.
Apparently, my friend has been teaching her daughter "to-hate/ to-be-scared" those Bangali people. The code name is "MONSTER"... "If u not eating your food, Mommy'll call the Monsters to catch you (pointing at a Bangali worker)" or "Don't run, walk with mommy, later got Monsters, how??" etc etc
The sad part is, almost all the family members named those people as "Monster". Even the grandma told me proudly "Since very young, she already don't like those Bangali. Smart girl, you know. Those Bangali are scary and filthy, like Monsters, right?". So wrong.
In my neighbouring country, it's very common to see South Asian immigrants doing "unwanted" job, ie. Cleaning service, janitor, construction worker, etc. Although, you can find some other races doing unwanted job too.
But teaching a toddler to love and hate a certain race by judging skin colour is so wrong. 
She's so young, and they started to feed her unnecessary fears. And these kids will keep in their minds and develop hatred for ridiculous reasons for the rest of her life.

Why "RESPECT LEVEL" is inversely proportional to a "MELANIN LEVEL"?

Though seems trivial, these "RACISM" issue may cause a bigger problem in longer run. Learn from us, please :(
Look, In Indonesia, despite being colonised by Dutch and Japanese for centuries, I never seen any local Indonesians hate them as much as they hate Chinese. Odd, isn't it?  (Although, I believe those jugun-ianfu will have different opinion about this)
And vice versa, Chinese hates locals. Looking down on them.

I don't know how people in the pasts whipped out this hatred. Some said, the Dutch used to give more benefits to Chinese, so the locals got envy. Some said it's the sin of our former President Suharto. I dunno how true it is, but it seems to be deeply infused until today.
And sometime it blew up, just like 1998 incident.
Both races' morons fought for someone-else's victory! They don't even realised they are being used for military for a coup trial. Stupid...!

Yet it still happens...
Local kids will call Chinese by "mocking" names. Local government official will anyhow ask for more ciggy-money form Chinese, anytime, anyhow.
When I was young, my parents forbid me to speak Chinese in public, they are scared that locals will harm me by showing Chinese traits. I think, no matter what I speak, my skin and my eyes already shows my race. Being mute won't help much.
I don't understand Indonesian Chinese either. Those super hard-core ones (I met some who can mistreat and swear about locals' race) are hardly "Chinese". I mean, they are 3rd-6th generation Chinese that no longer speak Chinese, they know nothing about China, and they never ever set their foot in China. What's China about them is merely diluted gene and their cheap mobile-phones!!!

I won't teach my younger generation to hate someone based on unchangeable things, like: you can't change your skin colour.
Ehm... (I see what you do there... OK OK, I'll rephrase it)
I guess, the proper way to say it, it'd be better not to hate anyone or anything :)
Easier said than done. But let's give it a try, shall we?

No comments: