Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tape Singkong

This is my first successful experience to make tape/tapai (fermented cassava).

So, this is how I made it (thx to Ling for teaching me how to make it + giving me the yeast tablets) :
1. Prepare a cassava. This one was freshly harvested from our garden, I just love the size!!! Of course you can just get it in the market rather than growing it yourself. Haha.
2. To de-skin the cassava, make a long slit vertically, and (pic 3) push your finger through the slit; the the skin will just come off easily, leaving you a white cassava rod. Wash with running water.
4. Cut to smaller pieces; preferably cut in in shorter rods. In this pic, I simply cut it into quarters, which isn't aesthetically appealing :( Oops...

Next step is:
  1. Steam the cassava for about 10 mins or so (just try to stick a skewer, if it's easily poked, it's done)
  2. This is what mine look like, it has a transparent edges, but the mid part is still white, but soft enough for a skewer to go through.
  3. Prepare the yeast. What I have comes in tablets, so I need to grind it into fine powder
  4. Then it need to be sprinkled evenly. In this pic, I put way-too-much yeast! It won't do any harm, but please just sprinkle lightly and evenly.
  5. You need to put them in closed container, keep it in cool dark place for about 3-4 days. So how can you tell if it's done or not? Poke it with a skewer again; by now it'll have a texture similar to boiled-eggplant. Soft, but still holding up its shape. 
  6. It tastes sweet, abit acidic with a slight alcohol punch. Yum!

No comments: