Thursday, April 11, 2013

Life Lessons: For Me to Remember

1. DO NOT WEAR OLD SHOES
On my recent trip to Europe, I was aware that the weather was kinda cold, so I opted for a low leather boots.My usual travel shoes are: flats, sandals or a light running shoes. My only boots were wore once 3 years ago, and I never wore it ever since then. Not because they are not nice, but simply I have nowhere to wear them. So, this time, I did.
At the airport, before departure, I found out my heel cap has fell off. Lucky they sell power-glue at the airport. It saved my day (well, that day).
The next day, I found out the other heel cap fell off too. It was easily fixed using the left-over power glue.
But then, things got worse, the soles were opening up!!! Now, even the power glue didn't have enough power to save it.
I was quite calm :) hiding my nervousness about the shoes.
Luckily, at Brussel, I found a small shop selling SALE shoes for Euro20. Nice!!! It was soft, flat and comfortable. Though, it maybe not the best shoes to wear on snow at the Alps.
But I survived. Thank you.

2.DO BUY YOUR JEANS ONE-SIZE DOWN
I always love the jeans I bought with Y in Canada, they might be a little expensive, but I've been wearing them for years. Though, it has given up on me, by leaving me a big hole on the knees.
The hole wasn't there in first place, I kept on wearing and washing it until it just get thin and cracked.

On this recent trip, I bought a pair of jeans. Kinda a hectic impulse buying thing. So, once I tried and found it fits. I just grabbed and pay for it.
I should have remember that, years ago, the sales lady in Canada insisted me to get a smaller size. I remember she "forced" me to get size 26, instead of a tight-27, and  a comfy-28.
26 seriously seems impossible, I was stuffing my wobbly tummy in it.
But she was right, as time goes by, the jeans fits perfectly.
Stupid me, my recent buy was a comfy-size 28. After wearing it for 2 days, it just hanging loose on my butt, making my flat-butt  even flatter than a failed-pancake. I could even fit 2 fists on my waist.
I hope I can remember my own preachings for next shopping spree.

3. NEVER EVER SEND ANY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS TRU ANY HOTEL'S BUSINESS CENTRE
I need to send my passport A.S.A.P once I reached Jkt. So, I thought the easiest way was to send it through my hotel's business centre. They were helpful etc, I paid a premium fee for a Jakarta-to-Jakarta document.
After 4 days, the recipient part was urging me for the passport since they really need it for my next trip's visa, which is in about 10 days time. I called up the hotel, and I got a very odd answer: "We have dropped the package into a mail-box, Mam. Just wait for it"
WTF, I don't even know a mail-box still exists at all. I was so desperate that I called up my back-up: the company that booked me in that hotel!!! It works, the hotel GM handling my case personally.
So what happened next was, they traced my document package from the "mail-box" to "branch-post-office" and to "main-post office". They found it there. I was so relieved. Then the hotel representative delivered my passport personally to the recipient.

I dunno who's to blame: my stupidity for trusting a hotel biz-centre, the lazy bell-boy that just simply dropped whatever into a ancient mail-box, or the biz-centre lady who is ignorant! I packed the passport in front of her, emphasising how important it is; I even get the envelope from her. And she assured me that it'll be delivered the next day. Gosh...
But thank you for finding it back. Now I can get on my next trip :)

No comments: