Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Netherlands' gift for me: Amaryllis Bulbs

can't help it. need to show my pics. haha
One of the compulsory tourist stop in Netherlands is Keukenhof Flower Garden - a super huge flower garden, usually full of the country's trademark flower: Tulips.
I've tried planting Tulips in Indonesia several times, and none succeed. I give up!

So, this time I bought some amaryllis bulbs, the vendor guarantee that it'll grow well in tropics. I was sceptic, thus buying only 4 bulbs.
The bulbs I bought from Keukenhof
Blooming-size Bulb, ready to bloom in 6-8 weeks
 And guess what? Once I returned home, I was greeted with this huge red bloom. I realised that I always have Amaryllis growing in front of my room's window. OMG!
I bought it years ago in Berastagi, it bloomed once and never bloom again until now. Since the sellers in Berastagi don't know the proper name (they simply call it whatever they want, such Trumpet Flower, Red Flower...) I couldn't get information on how to grow it properly. 
Never know such jewel was always in my garden :) until she bloomed
But now that I know it called Amaryllis, I know that they are happy in tropics, although there are some tricks to force them to bloom.
Big big regret that I didn't get more bulbs from Keukenhof. I should have bought a dozen or more.
Officially bitten by Amaryllis-fever bug now. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks like Carina Amaryllis